Monday, February 14, 2011

Baking Gone Wrong

Friday night Michael and I got home from work a little after 5. We had a ward activity that started at 6:30 and had just enough time to make our treat, congo bars (a chocolate chip cookie bar), eat dinner and go.This is how it all played out:
  1. I got started on the dessert. Realized we didnt have enough brown sugar. Went to Smith's to get some more.
  2. Get back. Michael takes over so I can eat dinner.
  3. Cookie bars in the oven and we are only 15 minutes behind schedule
  4. Timer goes off. Check the bars. Perfect on the outside. Runny on the inside....Now what do we do??
  5. Put them back in for a little longer. Maybe that will help.
  6. Nope. They were still just as runny. And I dont mean doughy (because I rather like doughy cookies) these were runny like yogurt consistency...GROSS! 
  7. We couldnt take them to the activity and we we already late so we just left them on the counter. Had a great time at the activity, played Ticket to Ride and met some more people in our ward.
  8. Came home with a redbox, put the cookies back in the oven and watched our movie. 
  9. A long while later, Michael says "the cookies!". oops, we had forgotten to check on them. I go to pull them out, expecting them to be totally burnt. Wrong, just a bit more golden on the outside and just as runny on the inside. I was very disappointed and reluctantly accepted that that was as good as it was going to get.
Well, it was either our oven, the recipe was typed wrong, the recipe was read wrong, or the higher altitude (they always turn out normal in CA) which messed it up. Whatever it was, lets just say I probably wont be trying this recipe again for a while, at least not until I am ready to experiment and find a possible solution. 

Check out these pictures I took the next morning.

 Dont worry, the top looked normal until we started picking at it. 
The top at least was cooked and tasted normal.
 The outside was so crunchy it came out of the pan all in one piece! 

3 comments:

  1. Don't try making carmel corn in utah. I never could get it to work. It could have been our insanely small microwave...It was never crunchy. I need to get the recipe for congo bars, but maybe I will get it from the source...not you! Hope you had a happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler wants to see more pictures of Joci and Michael! Update Please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness. that is ROCK SOLID. maybe you shouldn't cook dinner for us? hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete