Our original plan was to go camping at the beach with some of our friends for the Thanksgiving weekend. But we all had some degree of a cold. Remember how Collin was starting to get sick the weekend before in Houston? Well we all got it, some of us (Collin and me) worse then others (Michael...he always gets off easy! Lucky duck!) Anyway we decided it would be best to stay home and not expose ourselves to the elements and try sleeping on the hard ground when we weren't sleeping well at home to begin with. Thankfully we weren't sick enough to make our Thanksgiving weekend at home totally miserable and had a lovely little weekend as a family.
Neither of us our the biggest fans of turkey and other traditional Thanksgiving foods. So we decided to try our hand at making lamb. Originally Michael wanted lamb shanks, but those are quite hard to find! So we settled on a different cut, browned it in a pan and then finished it off in the crockpot. I even had to buy my first bottle of wine for this recipe. I felt like such an adult, but self conscience too! I ran into one of our friends while at the store and had to clarify that the bottle of wine was for cooking...not drinking! Didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea ;) We also made a quinoa cranberry orange salad (not a favorite, probably won't make it again) and a yummy potato gratin, recipe courtesy of William and Sonoma. The cheese in it was $10! It was definitely a splurge dish, but so rich and yummy!
And all I wanted for dessert was a Costco pumpkin pie. I had been seeing them in the store for the past several weeks and couldn't seem to get it out of my mind. I even went right when they opened the day before to get it. And good thing I did because when I went back later that night (still trying to find lamb) they were sold out. I was happy knowing my pie was safe at home in my fridge. And to watch Collin try it for the first time made it totally worth it! That boy keeps us laughing and for that I am extremely grateful!
Can't remember much else from the weekend. I think there were a lot of naps involved. Michael did play football Thanksgiving morning, Collin and I spectated. And we did hit up Target Friday shopping to see if there were any deals left. We got a couple little things, but they were pretty picked over. Which was ok, we were keeping Christmas small this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment