Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Part 3 of our Journey to the Midwest

Thankfully day 2 on the road wasn't as long as day 1...only 7 hours! We got a little later start then we had planned. But I think the extra sleep was good for everyone :) We had a free breakfast at the hotel. I always love it when they have the yummy, fresh waffles! Then hit the road once again.

Traffic lights in Lincoln...I had never seen them sideways before.
A little more of Nebraska
Crossing the Missouri River...we actually crossed it quite a few times that day.
Popped into Iowa for a bit. The sign reads "The people of Iowa welcome you"
A little taste for the landscape of Iowa. 
Random body of water to the side of the road in Iowa. Was actually kind of pretty. 
Hello Missouri...FINALLY! 
 
Each city seemed to have its very own water tower. Its actually kind of cool to see them, especially when passing through a lot of small towns.

A quick peek at Kansas City...Hopefully we will be able to spend a weekend there this summer. 
Hello beautiful new temple! We had just barley missed the open house. They had just ended those the Saturday before and when we drove through it was being cleaned in preparation for its dedication the following weekend. 
Go Royals! We were thinking of the Terry family when we passed this! 
It is so much greener in Missouri! And its like this in the area that we are living too. We went to the mall the other day, which sits up on a hill. And from the parking lot you just see lots of trees with the occasional rooftop peeking through. We really love all the vibrant, green trees! 
Cool rock formations that we passed. I guess out here you could call it a hill. Not nearly as big as the mountains in Utah, but still cool. :)

Some highlights from the day:

  • My very first meal from Sonic. Michael was shocked that I had never eaten there before. The chicken sandwich was the best fast food one and had had on the trip thus far. And the berry lemonade slush was very refreshing, especially since we were definitely starting to feel the humidity! It was also kind of cool just staying in the car and having them bring the food to us on roller blades :) 
  • We hadn't been on the road long after leaving Lincoln and were driving along a beautiful country highway, I was starting to doze off when all of the sudden Michael starts pulling over and I hear "oh crap". Then I saw the flashing lights. Thankfully, it was a nice cop and he let us off with a warning. Perhaps he just pitied us with our extremely loaded and covered in bugs car. Moral of the story: Always use cruise control and be extra cautious the next time you are driving on Nebraska highways! 
  • Making it to our new apartment around 4 that afternoon. Signing lots of papers and finally getting our keys. We did some grocery shopping. Unloaded the car. And settled in for the night with our sleeping bags and watching Netflix on Michael's phone. Don't worry our furniture was delivered the next morning so we didn't have to sleep on the floor again.
  • Oh, and did I mention that I had a full blown cold by that evening. I am blaming runny nosed niece and nephews....its a good thing they are cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment