Monday, January 18, 2016

Baby Boy #2

A little recap on my pregnancy with Baby Boy #2 aka Baby Waldo, now known as Derrick. I started this post several months ago and never posted it. Now that Derrick is nearly 2 months old I figured I had better finish it and post it! Brace yourself, its a long post, its hard to sum up 9 months!
********************************************
I promised I had a good reason for my terrible blogging the past few months....
We are adding another little boy to our family around the 28th of November, and we couldn't be more excited! (although I was not so secretly hoping for a girl)

We found out the gender on July 14 at 20 weeks. To celebrate we made cupcakes and shared them with Michael's coworkers and then used this picture to announce it on Facebook. 

 We shared our news with family and a few close friends on May 5th at 10 weeks with this fun Scrabble "game"
 
We found out the end of March (wish I could remember the date- this is already a typical second pregnancy and I have done a terrible job of documenting). I had some bleeding Easter weekend (which unfortunately put a kink in our camping plans) and gave us a bit of a scare, but all is well and baby is healthy. Morning sickness started shortly after. I don't know if it was because I was home more this pregnancy and didn't have school and work to keep me busy, or if it was the fact that I was eating more normal meals since Michael was around to cook dinner every night (he was already in Texas for this part of Collin's) but I felt way sicker this time and threw up a lot more. I slept pretty much every day during nap time, Collin watched more TV then ever before and everything else pretty much got ignored. I couldn't seem to last more then an hour between eating without feeling sick. But I was eating the same foods and so often that I didn't usually want to eat. It was a vicious cycle. Oh and I cant forget the smells, pretty similar to Collin's, but eggs made me gag and our apartment had the worst odor, occasionally I would catch a whiff of it and try not to gag. One time I was in the shower, the bathroom and bedroom doors were closed, and I could still tell that Michael had made some eggs. I pretty much didn't cook a single meal, didnt step foot in the grocery store and barely did dishes that whole time...thank you Michael for picking up the slack! Not fun and I am so happy to be out of that stage! Life has gotten a little more normal since about 16/17 weeks.

We snuggled a lot on the couch reading books or watching shows, usually Daniel Tiger, Collin's favorite.


Some comparing and contrasting to Collin's pregnancy. Definitely sicker and more throwing up this time, but it lasted about the same length. I feel like I started showing much sooner. I know looking at me people probably thought I was crazy, but I definitely felt bigger sooner. And I started wearing maternity clothes much sooner. Although I had an annoying awkward period around 18 weeks (and of course right when we were on vacation) where my regular pants didn't fit anymore but maternity clothes still were a little baggy. Movements were pretty early with both, I want to say around 14/15 weeks I started feeling butterfly like flutters. I know that on June 28th while sitting in Relief Society at church in Wolfeboro, NH I felt his first real kicks. I had also just eaten a couple pieces of dark chocolate which I like to think he enjoyed :) He is busy and active like Collin, however with the location of the placenta (it's in the front) it's been harder for others to feel him. Michael felt him for the first time on July 3rd. My sciatic nerve pain has been WAY worse. With Collin it was probably in the later half that I noticed it more, and only usually after walking a lot. This time it was super early, like maybe 10 weeks? I feel like such a old lady sometimes, it hurts to sit, sometimes I'll get a shooting pain when  I try to change positions or stand up, and standing and walking I'll sometimes move super slow. It's seems to be worst when  I sit in a hard chair for a while or in the car. Sundays are the worst! And traveling and climbing in and out of the back of my Aunt's Honda Pilot was pretty bad. Also I notice it's worse when  I sit on the floor, which of course is hard to avoid with a toddler. I have had to pee so often, especially in the late afternoon and into the evening. He has been pretty low so I guess that shouldn't surprise me. Thankfully the middle of the night bathroom trips have been few and pretty sporadic. My skin has been super dry, which is odd considering how humid it is right now,  but I think it has been partially due to how often I was my hands from the many bathroom trips.

Cravings this time around were a little bit healthier then with Collin. We went through A LOT of pita chips and hummus. I even learned how to make homemade pita chips (well I would buy pitas then turn them into chips). Near the end I had to cut back though because of the heartburn and now that he is here I have hardly touched it. Garlic is a little tough on his tummy. My other craving was miso soup. A few times a week I'd have miso soup and them chips and hummus for lunch. When I had a hankering for something sweet Sonic shakes of summer was a favorite (half off after 8). Or chocolate milk and the sour cream glazed old fashioned donuts from HEB. There were a few times we would stop by HEB for them and then head to the park to enjoy them.
 
Keeping with tradition we are waiting till he is born to decide on his name and referring to him by a "womb name". Michael and I couldn't agree on one this time so we took a poll with our families. The choices were Rupert, Waldo, Cecil and Elmer. It was pretty close between Waldo and Rupert, but Waldo won. We decided on a Where's Waldo theme for our Halloween costumes this year. And we are also planning on getting him a stuffed toy that we can call Waldo once he is born (like we did with Collin's monkey, Bruno)

The closer we got to due date the more and more excited Collin got. It was so much fun to see him start to comprehend what was happening. We got him a little baby doll to help him prepare. I love these pictures of Collin feeding his doll. I don't remember showing him how to feed/hold a baby but he was such a natural! He was a good help pulling out baby clothes, setting up the cradle (although he has a hard time not touching it), and getting other baby things ready. I think it also helped that his new cousin Allison was born just a couple weeks before baby brother.



My friend Casie threw such a cute shower for me to celebrate baby #2. It was a fall "little pumpkin" theme. She went all out on the food! She made everything from scratch and it was all delicious! She had mini pumpkin pies, homemade cider, chili in bread bowls, and pumpkin muffins. We played a few minute to win it games, and just had a fun time sharing pregnancy stories and other girl talk. It was the perfect night to celebrate a fall baby. 
 Then Michael's coworkers surprised me with a shower on November 17, just a few days before he was born. Michael was in on this one and told me to come by the office so Collin could see him in the Charlie Chipper costume (the town mascot). I had NO idea what was going on until we walked in the break room and everyone yelled surprise. I must admit I was a little disappointed we didn't get to see him dressed as a giant critter ;) Collin had such a fun time helping open the gifts and kept saying the funniest things, like "so cute" or "so little" when he saw the gift. He is very much in a copying stage. And of course he loved all the yummy food! We didn't need a whole lot this time around but it was so nice to receive some new outfits just for baby boy and stock up on some diapers and wipes. Everyone was so thoughtful and generous!


He looks like such a big boy in this picture- fitting for our soon to be Big Brother! 

It was a typical second pregnancy and I was horrible about documenting the growing bump. I feel like I carried a little lower this time, had hardly any swelling and only gained 27 pounds. 

 7 weeks 
 
18 weeks while on vacation in York, Maine
 22 weeks at our local beach in Surfside 
23 weeks
 29 weeks I love how this picture captures pregnancy with a toddler
 33 weeks
36 weeks on Halloween 
Last picture at 37 weeks, and the night of my shower, exactly 2 weeks before he was born. Wish I had taken one closer to his birth!  

 And for comparison 37 weeks with Collin

No comments:

Post a Comment