Wednesday, February 8, 2017

ICMA 2016

Michael, Derrick and I had the chance to go to the ICMA (International City Managers Association) conference in Kansas City September 24-28th. Collin stayed home with some friends of ours. This was our first time leaving him. And really the first time I had been away from him other then one night when I had Derrick. He did really well, and with 6 other kids to play with had a great time. We decided not to call him, unless something came up. I appreciated little updates each day. But one day we got busy and I forgot to text until the next morning. I felt a little bad but then realized how nice it was to have a break and enjoy ourselves.

We had been to Kansas City once before but it was nice to do some more touristy things. And they have a great street car system that we rode every day. Lindsay gave us some recommendations of things to do since that was where they used to live.

First day (Saturday) we had a really early flight. When we landed we went straight to an apple picking place and had some delicious fresh squeezed cider and warm apple cider donuts. Apple picking wasn't the greatest- it had been a bad year weather wise- but it was a beautiful, rather warm day to walk around and enjoy a wagon ride. A late lunch was at our favorite Oklahoma Joe's Kansas City BBQ. Such a fun place since its at a gas station. Then we checked into our hotel, picked up the street car to meet up with some BYU alum to watch the BYU football game. By this point I was EXHAUSTED and had a terrible headache! I felt bad to just sit there and not socialize much, great first impression, but the other days I was much more perky.

 
It was the tiniest airport- that is Derrick at baggage claim and our airplane right out the window. 
Perhaps one of my favorite pictures of him- love that little grin and the sugar on his lips from trying a donut. 
 He loved chomping apples

 
  
 
Sunday all BYU/LDS attendees meet for a special testimony meeting. Derrick and I lasted just long enough for the sacrament and then spent the rest of the time roaming the halls. Its amazing how noisy a baby seems when he is the only one there! One blessing from Sunday is that we didn't end up having to pay for any of our meals. Saturday night we picked up breakfast foods for the next morning. Lunch was a buffet with some BYU friends- but was sponsored by one of the guy's employers. And then for dinner we were invited to join some people and network a little, and the bill for that meal was picked up by another company as well. I felt very blessed that day. We ended the evening with a walk to enjoy a beautiful sunset and view of the city.
 
Monday and Tuesday Michael was in meetings most of the day so Derrick and I were on our own to sight see. We did a lot of walking and enjoying the great weather. We would go out in the morning and then come back after lunch for nap time. And then explore a little more in the evening while we waited for Michael to get back. We went to the Kansas City Federal Reserve money museum, went to the city library downtown and hit up the tail end of story time and played in the children's area for a while. It was really cool since it was in an old bank and the parking garage looked like a giant bookshelf. We also explored the Halmark plaza. I forget what exactly its called. And we also spent a lot of time at Union Station which was just across the street from our hotel. There was a room there filled with several impressive model train displays- I thought my dad would have really enjoyed that. And then there were some galleries with artifacts and all about the station's history and renovation. It really was such an impressive and beautiful building! I loved all the history and couldn't help but think of my Grandma who traveled across the county by train. I wish I could ask her if she ever stopped in KC during her travels. Someday I can ;) One evening we went to the Independence, MO visitor center with another LDS couple that we had met earlier in the trip. And then the other night we had a BYU alumni dinner.








Wednesday was our last day. We had an afternoon flight so after Michael attended his last conference session we walked walked through Union Station a little more so I could show Michael my favorite parts and so we could pick up a present for Collin- a train conductor hat. Then we had lunch at the Halmark center in a fun little burger place that you ordered your food at a phone at your booth and then your food was brought out by a little train. We stopped by the art museum for a little bit. Then it was off to the airport.
 One of my favorite artist- Monet
 Michael's Favorite- Van Gogh
We picked Collin up right around bedtime. It was so good to see him again!! Although the break was really nice. I kept telling Michael it was so nice to not have anyone talk back to me ;) Looking forward to ICMA 2017 in our ol' stomping grounds- San Antonio. Hoping I can tag along again and leave both boys this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment